Will you have Sudden death with Toprol-xl - from FDA reports
Sudden death is found among people who take Toprol-xl, especially for people who are male, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Lasix, and have Coronary artery bypass. This study is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 38,262 people who have side effects when taking Toprol-xl from FDA, and is updated regularly.
eHealthMe is a health data analysis company based in Mountain View, California. eHealthMe monitors and analyzes the outcomes of drugs and supplements that are currently on the market. The results are readily available to health care professionals and consumers. Choose a tool to use eHealthMe.
eHealthMe has released original studies on market drugs and worked with leading universities and institutions such as IBM, London Health Science Centre, Mayo Clinic, Northwestern University and VA. eHealthMe studies have now been referenced in over 500 peer-reviewed medical publications.
How the study uses the data?
The study is based on metoprolol succinate (the active ingredients of Toprol-xl) and Toprol-xl (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Synonyms of Sudden death are also considered in the study.
What is Toprol-xl?
Toprol-xl has active ingredients of metoprolol succinate. It is often used in high blood pressure. Check the latest outcomes from 40,316 Toprol-xl users, or browse all drugs.
What is Sudden death?
Sudden death has been reported by people with multiple myeloma, primary pulmonary hypertension, chronic myeloid leukaemia, diabetes, multiple sclerosis. Check the latest reports from 386,249 Sudden death patients, or browse all conditions.
How to use the study?
Patients can bring a copy of the report to their healthcare provider to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood. It is recommended that patients use the information presented as a part of a broader decision-making process.
Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
Data + Experience to manage medications:
On eHealthMe, we believe health data should work with individual experience to improve drug outcomes. With our Ginger Health app, you can get one-to-one mobile support from people like you. Patients and caregivers can get paid with their health care experience as a Care Guide. Learn more about Care Guides.
Support Group of this study is on Ginger Health.
38,262 people reported to have side effects when taking Toprol-xl.
Among them, 838 people (2.19%) have Sudden death
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Toprol-xl when people have Sudden death *:
- < 1 month: 9.38 %
- 1 - 6 months: 18.75 %
- 6 - 12 months: 18.75 %
- 1 - 2 years: 3.12 %
- 2 - 5 years: 31.25 %
- 5 - 10 years: 15.62 %
- 10+ years: 3.12 %
Gender of people who have Sudden death when taking Toprol-xl *:
- female: 48.17 %
- male: 51.83 %
Age of people who have Sudden death when taking Toprol-xl *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.44 %
- 20-29: 0.44 %
- 30-39: 1.6 %
- 40-49: 6.98 %
- 50-59: 18.31 %
- 60+: 72.24 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Coronary Artery Bypass: 146 people, 17.42%
- Multiple Myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells): 40 people, 4.77%
- Mitral Valve Replacement: 36 people, 4.30%
- High Blood Cholesterol: 34 people, 4.06%
- Metastases To Bone (cancer spreads to bone): 31 people, 3.70%
- Aortic Valve Replacement: 31 people, 3.70%
- Osteoporosis (bones weak and more likely to break): 30 people, 3.58%
- Diabetes: 29 people, 3.46%
- Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (primary high blood pressure that affects the arteries in the lungs and the right side of your heart): 29 people, 3.46%
- Pain: 25 people, 2.98%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Lasix: 270 people, 32.22%
- Trasylol: 204 people, 24.34%
- Aspirin: 180 people, 21.48%
- Lipitor: 169 people, 20.17%
- Heparin: 154 people, 18.38%
- Coumadin: 142 people, 16.95%
- Plavix: 137 people, 16.35%
- Lisinopril: 131 people, 15.63%
- Nitroglycerin: 112 people, 13.37%
- Norvasc: 109 people, 13.01%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Pain: 291 people, 34.73%
- Stress And Anxiety: 253 people, 30.19%
- Injury: 243 people, 29.00%
- Acute Kidney Failure: 231 people, 27.57%
- Fear: 185 people, 22.08%
- Anhedonia (inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable): 166 people, 19.81%
- Emotional Distress: 164 people, 19.57%
- Renal Injury (kidney injury): 158 people, 18.85%
- Renal Impairment (severely reduced kidney function): 148 people, 17.66%
- Multi-Organ Failure (multisystem organ failure): 118 people, 14.08%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you have Sudden death while taking Toprol-xl?
You are not alone:
- Connect with people like you who take Toprol-xl and have Sudden death
- Use your healthcare experience to help people like you, and be rewarded
Drugs that are associated with Sudden death
- Sudden death (3,358 drugs)
Could your condition cause Sudden death
- Sudden death (3,571 conditions)
Toprol-xl side effects
- Toprol-xl side effects (38,264 reports)
Browse side effects by gender and age
Browse all side effects of Toprol-xla b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Mobile peer-to-peer support:
Ginger Health (developed by eHealthMe) has millions of focused support groups to join: each group for one drug side effect, symptom, drug or condition. You can also follow Care Guides who "have been there" to help you meet care goals and improve day-to-day life.
Recent publications that referenced eHealthMe studies
- Aalaei-Andabili, S. H., Umer, M., & Keeley, E. C., "An Adult Woman With Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease and a Diffuse Rash", JAMA cardiology, 2019 Jan.
- Kocamaz, M., & Karadag, O., "Topiramate-Induced Acute Myopia, Diplopia, and Photosensitivity: A Case Report", , 2019 Jan.
- Amit K J Mandal, Umar F Khan, Constantinos G Missouris, "Ventricular tachycardia in a patient with sigmoid volvulus on treatment with donepezil", Clinical Toxicology, 2019 Jan.
- Alam, S., Illo, C., Ma, Y. T., & Punia, P. , "Gemcitabine-induced cardiotoxicity in patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer: a case series", Case reports in oncology, 2018 Jan.
- Pang, T., & Gudi, A., "Chest pain following the use of fluvoxamine in depression", Proceedings of Singapore Healthcare, 2018 Jan.
- Lehrer, S., & Rheinstein, P. H. , "Alzheimeros Disease and Intranasal Fluticasone Propionate in the FDA MedWatch Adverse Events Database", Journal of Alzheimer's disease reports, (Preprint), 1-5., 2018 Jan.
- Barold, S. S., & Upton, S. , "Hyperkalemia Induced by the Sequential Administration of Metoprolol and Carvedilol", Case reports in cardiology, 2018 Jan.
- Obayi, O., & Tagbo, N. , "Bilateral Pedal Oedema Associated with Intramuscular HaloperidolɃA Rare Observation", International Neuropsychiatric Disease Journal, 2018 Jan.
- Kim MS, Baek IH, "Effect of dronedarone on the pharmacokinetics of carvedilol following oral administration to rats", European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2018 Jan.
- T.Audi Yanto, I.Huang, F.Nathania Kosasih, NP Hardjo Lugito, "Nightmare and Abnormal Dreams: Rare Side Effects of Metformin?", Case Reports in Endocrinology, 2018 Jan.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.